Urban Pathways 6-12 Charter Schools
The community of UPCS believes that it is only through the cooperation of the parents and school that children reach their full potential. In light of this the school and parents will work cooperatively to provide for the successful education of the children as follows:
The School Agrees:
- to convene an annual meeting for Title I parents to inform them of the Title I program and their right to be involved;
- to offer a flexible number of meetings at various times, and if necessary, and if funds are available, to provide transportation, childcare or home visits for those parents who cannot attend a regular school meeting;
- to actively involve parents in the planning, reviewing and improving the Title I programs and the parental involvement policy;
- to provide parents with timely information about all programs;
- to provide performance profiles and individual student assessment results for each child and other pertinent individual and school district education information;
- to provide high-quality curriculum and instruction;
- to assure that parents may participate in professional development activities if the school determines that it is appropriate, i.e. literacy classes, workshops on reading strategies.
- to deal with communication issues between teachers and parents through:
- parent-teacher conferences at least annually,
frequent reports to parents on their children's progress,
- reasonable access to staff,
- opportunities to volunteer and participate in their child's class and observation of classroom activities.
The Parent/Guardian Agrees:
- to become involved in developing, implementing, evaluating, and revising the school parent family engagement policy;
- to use or ask for assistance that the local school may offer on child development and teaching and learning strategies as needed;
- to work with our child/children on their schoolwork;
The Parent/Guardian Agrees:
- to ask them what they learned about that day, encourage them to share their successes and areas of frustration;
- to provide assistance if necessary;
- to encourage them to read, write, and practice their math skills daily;
- to encourage the development of effort and persistence in our children;
- to share the responsibility for improved student achievement;
- to communicate with our child/children's teachers about their educational needs;
- to ask parents and parent groups to provide information;
- to the school on what type of training or assistance they would like and/or need to help them be more effective in assisting your child/children in the educational process.
- to monitor our child/children's:
- attendance at school,
- television watching,
- computer and video game usage.
The Student Agrees:
- to attend school every day possible.
- to participate in a positive way in all school activities.
- to encourage parents to become a part of my educational experience.
- to question, in the appropriate way and at the appropriate time, those parts of my learning that are not understood.
- to take home materials and information needed to complete all assignments.
- to complete homework in a thorough, legible and timely manner.
- to return homework on time.
- to comply with school rules.
- to respect the personal rights and property of others.
- to respect cultural, racial and ethnic differences.