URBAN PATHWAYS 6-12 CHARTER SCHOOL MEDICATION POLICY
(Self-Carry/Self-Administration of Asthma Medication)
1. A child of school age should be allowed to possess and self-administer an asthma inhaler in a school setting.
2. The inhaler must be accompanied by a written statement from a Physician, Certified Registered Nurse Practitioner, or Physician Assistant that provides the name of the drug, the dose, the reason the medicine is needed, potential serious reactions and emergency response, and whether the child is qualified and able to self-administer the medication.
3. The inhaler must be accompanied by a written request from the parent or guardian that the school complies with the order of the physician, certified registered nurse practitioner, or physician responsibility assistant. This note shall include a statement relieving the school or any school employee of any for the benefits or consequences of the prescribed medication and acknowledging that the school bears no responsibility for ensuring that the medication is taken.
4. The student will demonstrate the capability for self-administration and for responsible behavior in use of medication:
A. Knowledge of reason for taking medication
B. Identify signs and symptoms which indicate the inhaler is to be used
C. Identify effects and side effects of medication
D. Correct administration of medication using return demonstration technique
E. Identify placement of inhaler to be kept on his/her person at all times
F. Acknowledge need to notify the school nurse immediately following each use of the inhaler
5. The student will deny the availability of the medication to other children of school age, with
immediate confiscation of the medication and loss of privileges if the school policies are abused or ignored.